The NYC Leadership Academy is pleased to announce that Governor Andrew Cuomo has appointed Irma Zardoya, our President and CEO, to New York State’s new NY Education Reform Commission.
The Commission purpose is to recommend education reforms that will ensure that all students are prepared for their futures.
Specifically, the Commission is charged with finding ways to:
- Improve teacher recruitment and performance, including the teacher evaluation system;
- Improve student achievement;
- Examine education funding, distribution and costs;
- Increase parent and family engagement in education;
- Examine the problem of high-need and low-wealth school communities
- Find the best use of technology in the classroom;
- Examine New York’s education system to ensure it meets the needs of students while respecting the taxpayer.
Richard (Dick) Parsons, retired Chairman of Citigroup, will chair the Commission, which includes Randi Weingarten of the AFT, Geoffrey Canada of the Harlem Children’s Zone, NY State Education Commissioner John B. King, Jr., Nancy Zimpher, SUNY Chancellor and other nationally-recognized education, community and business leaders.
Irma is honored to be part of this critical endeavor and to work with her esteemed colleagues to improve education for students across the state.