The Leadership Academy has joined a number of national education organizations and researchers in sending a letter to Secretary of Education nominee Dr. Miguel Cardona calling for specific policies that support teacher and leader professional learning.
In the letter, we call for six specific actions we believe will advance educational equity:
1. Advance racial equity explicitly across all Department of Education priorities
2. Respond to COVID-19 by meeting student needs while building educator capacity
3. Dramatically expand teacher learning opportunities for educational equity
4. Build the evidence base of what works in teaching by incentivizing innovation
5. Reimagine and invest in school leadership as distributed leadership across principals and teachers
6. Embrace the Department’s role as a convener to accelerate learning by connecting policy leaders, educators, partners, and philanthropy